It’s that time of year again when we take a look into the possibilities of PMO land next year. We’ve been doing these articles for a couple of years and we don’t tend to be too far out. Take last year’s for example:
Here are last year’s trends (the full article can be found here):
- Agile PMO will continue to evolve and mature with a recognition that the primary areas of focus aren’t going to be easy
- Agility as an ability – the PMO makes a contribution to working in a VUCA world
- The penny continues to drop – the PMO doesn’t belong to you, it belongs to the business
- A PMO Competency Framework and Assessment… finally! And it’s created by the PMO community.
- ? PMO continues – there are more consultancies, training firms, software providers that want your business
- Steadying the ship – understanding what the basics are and doing them well
- A deeper understanding of lessons, understanding failure and really learning
- The PMO Plan – got one for tomorrow, 90 days and 12 months?
- A new Value to think about
- MARVELlous PMO people
The Agile PMO stuff got taken up a level with the release of the Inside PMO Report and the subsequent one day course from sister company PMO Learning; still lots of conversations about understanding what the business needs from the PMO and designing the PMO to deliver against that; the Competency Framework is not quite there yet so that’ll be a goal for 2019; concentrating on designing and delivering services – doing the basics and doing them well – still features in a lot of PMO conversations at Flashmobs, conference and in the training rooms.
We’re still making sense of the changes our businesses are making through VUCA times and how the PMO adapts and changes with it – and throughout 2019 we reckon there will still be periods of disruption that unsettles the modus operandi of the PMO.
So what will 2019 bring? We’ve pulled together our top ten based on all the knowledge being shared from PMO conferences; PMO Flashmobs, webinars, blogger comment; virtual meetups and little pockets of conversation here and there. Here’s what we have: